Thursday, November 20, 2008

Crack + Crap

"Crack" in the morning light


It's hard for me to admit my failures. I can admit to my personal failings, but when it comes to things I make, it's much harder. (What's THAT about?) I'd rather ignore them, put them in the corner and try again without letting people see the ugly process before I get a handle on things.

My Apple Bread soap (aka "Crack") came out today and it looked lame (aka CRAP). My intention for this puppy was to pour the plain soap, then save some soap and use titanium dioxide to lighten the topping so it looked like whipped cream or frosting, sprinkle colored sea salt on top (looks like sugar but won't attract ants), and then drizzle goat milk melt + pour on top like a drizzle of icing. I have never worked with m+p before and I was so gung ho about the whole thing, I melted it and drizzled it on top of the freshly peaked and sprinkled topping, except it just lay there like an oil slick. WHAT? Ack! So I got my handy plastic whisk and mixed it into the topping reapplied my sea salt sprinkles, but the topping just wasn't as white and pure as it was only moments before. You can see the close up...not white and pure. Swirly and blotchy. :(



I drizzled the m+p soap onto a cured bar of soap and it worked like a dream! Guess I should have checked if their was water in the pool before I dove into it. The other thing is this: I tried a new formula and it made my hands dry, so I don't want to sell it or give it away either. I can cut it up, add some shea butter or olive oil and cook it. Any other suggestions?


So not only does the soap look dumb but it's drying and I can't even give it away!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it actually looks nice. Too bad about the drying part. Why don't you just rebatch?

G'luck!

Joanna Schmidt said...

Thanks, Soap kitten. It really doesn't look that bad, except for the crack...but dry - no good. Back to the drawing board.

Heidi said...

I used to have the same problem with anything I added titanium dioxide to. This isn't a great picture, but you can see it here http://soapaholicsanonymous.blogspot.com/2008/04/coffee-break.html.
I went to the teach soap forum and was told to mix the t.d. into the oils. It looks blotchy because the t.d. isn't getting mixed in enough. Since I started doing that I haven't had any blotchy soap.

Your soaps all look awesome...especially for someone who recently started soaping. Its such a trial and error hobby and sometimes crappy things happen.

Anonymous said...

I think it looks very nice, though I know how rotten it feels when it doesn't come out how you intended. The froth on top reminds me of a draft beer or a yummy cream ale.

The Dirty Business Bath Co. said...

I'm the same way--I get so frustrated. I just had a castile batch refuse to set-up due to the fragrance oil, and soda ash is determined to make an appearance no matter how much plastic wrap I use. All whilst trying to get a wholesale order out.

I feel your pain!

Suds to Love said...

Any chance that it is drying on your hands since it was just made? Or has this been curing for awhile already?

FuturePrimitive Soap Co. said...

I'll gladly take one! I reckon it still looks lovely.
A good tip from Heidi there - I will use that method as I've had the same t.d problem a few times with HP soap myself.

Anonymous said...

I would wait a few days before the final say, should it not cure for a bit longer before testing. What were your levels on your calc?

Alana said...

I am impressed, even if your soap didnt turn out the way you wanted it looks pretty.

I try not to get frustrated when a whole batch comes out "wrong" (in my eyes at least), but it is very difficult with all the work and creativity that gets put into it.

Perhaps you can dice it up and put it into another batch of soap as an imbed - I did that instead of rebatching one of my botched loaves.

Body Natural Soap said...

I actually like the blochyness it looks like meringue that has browned in the oven. The crack I don't know. But overall I think the soap looks really yummy.

I think that if after it cures rebatch and definitely try that again. Beautiful soap

Satsuki Rebel said...

I just messed up my first batch of lip balm about an hour or so ago (which is why beginners like me should be more careful about reinventing tried & true recipes). Sorry about the soap. I think it still looks yummy though.

Kim said...

Oh, I know the feeling. Recently, I made a batch of lemongrass - same way I always have, except I used a new dye. Now, the soap smells like pool liner. The dye reacted with my EO somehow. Go figure.

I think the soap is pretty, but I know how frustrating it can be when you have something in mind and it just doesn't come out the way you pictured it to be.

They are all learning experiences in the end. I always have to remind myself that it's only soap, and I can make another batch tomorrow. I don't have a lot of luck with re-batching. It usually ends with the same soap disappointing me all over again. Damn you to hell, pesky soap!

Anonymous said...

I agree with those who said that it's frustrating because it doesn't come out looking like you had intended, but I think if you shift your thinking into "happy accident" instead, it might feel better. The splotchy is actually a fabulous effect...it looks like a gemstone (turquoise often has that splotching).

If it weren't for the fact that it's drying, would have suggested cutting it length-wise, following the track of the crack and it'd still look perfectly like a bar of soap. I do share your concern about the drying part though.