Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pink Grapefruit Parfait

Batch #5:  Pink Grapefruit Parfait soap.  I think this one was a success.  I used a soap calculator (yay and finally!), I got a new stick blender which I will blog about another time, and I used titanium dioxide to try out white and layering. Fluff fluff!  I never got peaks before and it was electrifying when I got there.

Slab before the knife



Pile of Parfait

I used pink grapefruit fragrance oil and used a merlot mica to color.  Unfortunately, I think I didn't scent it enough, because it isn't holding much scent as things stand.  Bummer.  It probably will smell unscented by the time it is ready for the shower.  It really is hard to get this and that and that other thing all in one 30 minute block to go one's way.  I suppose one must be really organized as well as have a successful and tested recipe.

I'm sure I will stumble about with this until I've emptied the bank and scented the Florida dumps with smelly botched batches, but for now, I made soap and I know it will be a keeper.

My chunky ducks in a row

18 comments:

egassner said...

Yay!! It looks awesome!

Suds to Love said...

Oh my gosh how beautiful... love the whole look. Unfortunately, from what I've read, I believe that some citrus scents don't make it through the CP method. I still haven't attempted layers, maybe I should try that next, as you've inspired me!

Kim said...

Yummy! Gorgeous soap! Well done, girl! Congratulations!

dcyrill said...

I am so proud of you. I am over here doing the happy dance for you. Look at you layering. Did you do cold or hot process?

Anonymous said...

Joanna, that is PERFECT!! Brava!! Will it be on the site soon?

gracefruit said...

Beautiful! Pass me a spoon. :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! Joanna! Your soap is Yumlicious!

Holly said...

It looks awesome! Hooray for a great batch!

Croap Queen said...

Looks beautiful Joanna. Well done you - especially if that's only the 5th one you've done. Clever girl!

Sherrie said...

Yeeee-haw! Good for you! I wish I could hold it - it looks great!

Heather@Twin Birch said...

Grapefruit parfait? I'm in love! It looks positively delish! I love the peaks and the creaminess! Nice going!

Heidi said...

That soap looks awesome! I just started doing layering and here you are on batch #5 doing a sweet layered soap = )

Joanna Schmidt said...

Thank you! Your comments mean the world to me and my ego. Really.

elizabeth: thanks so much!
suds to love: I love your blog and you are a soaping maniac! I am surprised you haven't tried everything!
kim: gorgeous? Well they are awkwardly cut, so we'll see...
dcyrill: this is cp soap, so in about 6 weeks they'll be ready :)
teresa: I can't sell my soap. I am just a beginner, but if anyone likes the idea of swapping, I am all ears!
gracefruit: yum. parfait. rich (lick)
nea, croap queen, sherrieg and holly: so kind :D
heather: the peaks are absolutely my favorite part! It set up quickly, so I didn't have time to play with it too much
heidi: thanks, I'm really trying and wish I could do it more often but my schedule just doesn't allow me to, so when I am not exhausted one evening, I am going to try to make soap.

Michelle said...

Joanna, these are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! It's looks like strawberry parfait. Decadent and gorgeous. :)

Anonymous said...

Joanna, I only have some really pathetic MP soaps to swap (although they will go by the lovely name of Lilac Romance) from the crafting day with the boys this past week. I'd trade you 2-3 of mine of a small bar of this beauty of yours! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, these look awesome...5th batch. Ha... you look like an expert! :)

Joanna Schmidt said...

Teresa, shhh, I'll just send you one ;)