Thursday, October 1, 2009

Melt And Pour Wizardry At Its Finest

Soapylove:: the book
A how-to guide for making glycerin
melt and pour soaps with pictures GALORE!

Debbie Chialtas is THE W i z a r d of all things soapy in the melt and pour world. Really really. Instead of keeping the beauty all to herself, she has decided to share her oh-so-crafty-talents with the world. In this rockin' book that I was so fortunate to receive, Debbie demystifies the "bite" from the Popsicles, cookies, and her jelly donut soaps. I always wondered how those bites were made. I mean, I'm no dummy, but I never could get past the thought...."what could make that bite shape?" Then I'd be stumped and move along with my day. Although, I hate to admit this, I have to tell you that if you asked me today how to make that bite shape and I hadn't open this book and learned how Debbie made them, I'd probably say: "Dentures?"

So....back to the book: Some of the fun soap projects include embedding cool shapes like dots, stripes, scenery, cameos, balls and aliens in rocketships, creating "bites", adding fragrances, colors, swirling, blending, layering and cutting. In the book, Debbie makes the most intricate and difficult looking processes look super easy with step by step instructions with plenty of big, bright, colorful pictures showing exactly what to do and how the final outcome should look like. Some projects are harder than others. There are beginner projects all the way up to more advanced ones. Using a craft knife, for instance, and carving out intricate designs like a flame, might be hard for some (ahem). You know...eye hand coordination/patience with detail... That sort of thing. What is great about this book is that there is something in it for everyone. The crafts are fun, inspiring and beautiful! Following these steps can make you a pro!

Debbie, thank you. I really love the book! Anyone who loves crafts, has children or wants to try a new hobby should get this book. And the price is crazy at $13.50 for 125 awesome pages.

The book is available on Amazon.com or at Brambleberry.


Soapylove, the website: where you'll find anything and everything about Debbie including where her stuff is sold, how to find more things she sells, how to get in touch with her...etc.


Debbie Chialtas blogs: Soapylove Daily Ditties and The Soap Lab

dreamy

6 comments:

Body Natural Soap said...

I have never messed with melt and pour much until latley. I like how versitile it is. I still am far from her level with it though. Did you see her video where she made a car out of soap. Oooh my gosh

Jen Kumar said...

How inspiring. As a newbie in the melt and pour world, this is indeed inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this glowing review! I'm so happy that you like it and I hope that many people get inspired to try M&P for the first time, or try some new techniques! Thanks again!

FuturePrimitive Soap Co. said...

i love soapy loves work. those blue lollies with the clouds in look absolutely ace don't they. LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Debbie is my soap-artist idol! =)

Faye said...

Oh wow! They are amazing!! Little works of art! Great gifts too :)