Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sahara Moon

I tried what a lot of soap makers have been doing for a long time, which is throwing soap balls into raw soap. I think it's a neat effect when bthe soap is cut, but my balls should have been more hydrated--looks a bit "cracky" (that does NOT sound G rated, keep your mind out of the gutter!). So my plan with this soap was to use matcha green tea to color the layers on top, thinking I'd get a gorgeous matcha green tea color, but I got some serious browns. The scent was a combination of tea scents- a tea blend with spices.

Of course when I cut it, I thought of the desert at night and when I cut it and got two moons, I thought of Star Wars or some other science fiction book that had many moons orbiting the Earth.

Loving the swirls and color combos, even though it came out totally NOT the way I had intended it to. Unfortunately they are square which makes it hard to wash with. Ideally one bar is two, because you can cut it in half, shown in the soap dish below.

I have to get more molds, folks.






Sahara Moon

***

Upcoming soap review: Concord Soap Company

12 comments:

dalene said...

That's lovely.

Heidi said...

Those are awesome! One of the things I love most about making soap is using random ingredients and seeing what they turn out to be. Its so surprising sometimes. I don't always like my surprises, but yours are great =D

Unknown said...

This looks really nice. I love it when "mistakes" turn out great!

Michelle said...

Sometimes when they don't come out the way we intended, it is even better! I love the naturalness of your soap. Your name Sahara Moon is perfect.

FuturePrimitive Soap Co. said...

yes yes yes - go you! by the way they are SQUARE, not SQAURE!
Watch that spelling!
hahaha

Amy W said...

I think they look pretty good! You have several different textures along with the different shades of brown. The name definitely fits too. I say, way to go!

Cathy Winsby said...

They look wonderful!!!

Body Natural Soap said...

The bottom looks like marble. I think the name suits this lovley soap very well.

Joanna Schmidt said...

Thank you guys:)n And thanks, fut. prim.- fixed it! :P

Anonymous said...

so creative. Always trying new things. You're the tops. Mom

Michele said...

I think your soap is gorgeous even if the green tea turned brown! :) What type of green tea did you use? I use Matcha green tea powder in mine and the green stays vibrant. I work with melt and pour and that could be the difference to why mine stays so green. But if you want to try the powder...you can pick it up at any Asian grocer. If you want to see the color green that I get, just look at the green tea zen bar in my shoppe. Love the name Sahara Moon...sounds peaceful. :)

Kim said...

Pretty, pretty new soaps!