Monday, March 19, 2012

Black Beauty By Tokyo Factory

kimono

Ayu, of Tokyo Factory, sent me this gorgeous soap that I have been staring at for weeks. Kimono has a presence of its own, and sitting on my shelf, with such grace....well, I just couldn't bring myself to use it.  I loved the stamp and the look of the soap so much that I just needed to savor its beauty.  That never happens to me.  Usually I race into the shower with whatever new bar has been sent to me, in such a hurry, I usually have clips dangling from my hair, or (yes..) socks I forget to remove. (no teasing)

The beauty of this black beast is quite stunning.  I love the soap bits present in the pitch black mass.  It breaks up the stillness of the bar and adds beauty, playfulness and charm.  And of course each bar looks different.  I had myself a one of a kind.

I tried Kimono this morning and the smell was delightfully simple and evolved completely in my shower from simple and kind to complex and frisky.  It felt almost like I was bathing with a perfectly found rock, geode, mars stone because of its grace and natural pureness.  Lather:  Tight creamy bubbles instead of big fluffy ones, but the lather was plentiful.  As I already know from my own experience, charcoal soaps create grey lather, and that's my least favorite element of this soap.  Not a huge complaint being that the soap was a luxury to use, fabulous to smell and my skin felt conditioned and soft when I was through with my bathing ritual.  

grey bubbles ensue

On Ayu's website, here is the information on Kimono:

Scent: A Luxury Blend of Rosewood, Clary Sage and Anise.
One of Our Signature KIMONO Soap.  This soap contains luxurious ingredients such as Coconut Water, Rose Clay, and rich Bamboo Charcoal Powder.  Pure Bamboo Charcoal is known to clean skin pores deeply and clean body odor. Soap is packaged in a beautiful custom designed, recycled paperboard box.


Would I recommend Ayu's soaps?  Absolutely!

xoxo Jo



10 comments:

The Lazy Lacquerist said...

Ayu's soaps are just divine!

Soapchick said...

Wow, that is one good lookin soap!! I love it. I have only ventured into black for layers and swirls, not quite daring to make a whole soap, now seeing this perhaps I will have a go. Thanks for sharing

Amy Warden said...

I've always admired Ayu's soaps! I can't imagine the work to chop all those little bits of soap...

Savory Soaps said...

A soap bar that does its job, cleansing of course, and add to the beauty of the bathroom. what's better than that?!

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Stunning as always. Her soaps seem to have such a calculated controlled beauty to them.

Unknown said...

real art. I think I would just frame it and put it on the wall forever. But, that wouldn't be right would it? Or wouldn't it?

Two Blooms Design Studio said...

I got this one and the Japanese Rose from Ayu and still haven't used this one yet but I agree it's very pretty.

Michelle

Donna OShaughnessy said...

These are elegant and so keen with their sharp edges. Her sense of artistry is beyond amazing,

AYU said...

Hi Joanna :)
Thank you very much for your soap review on my soap!
It is great to see my soap on your blog! Yay!!

I am glad that you liked "the Black Beauty" ;)

Big Hugs and Kisses

AYU

Polly McNamara said...

That is a beauty of a soap xx